The Chinese Consulate grants two different types of student (X) visas. If the applicant’s studying duration is less than 180 days, it will be an X2 visa with 5 year validity, multiples entries and each entry applicant can stay for up to 180 days. If the studying duration is over 180 days, then it will be an X1 visa. X1 is the perquisite to obtain a residence permit in China. The duration of study is on your admission letter. You can travel in and out of China with both types of visa.
Please collect the required documents listed below and send to our office via any trackable mailing service. You must send your original passport so that the visa can be issued once it has been approved. We will mail your passport with the issued visa back to you.
1. Original passport: (Your original passport must be valid for at least 8 months with at least two blank visa pages remaining) If your passport has been issued within the last 6 months, we need your previous original expired passport. Your passport must be valid for at least 12 months to receive X2 visa. If you are applying for X1 visa, your passport must be valid for at least 8 months, however, Chinese police department requires your passport to be valid for at least 12 months when you submit for residence permit.
Please also provide a copy of the first page of your U.S. passport (the page with your picture and passport information).
Applicants who were born in China, Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan and have previously obtained a Chinese Visa with their US passport, please provide a copy of your previous visa and the first page of your previous US passport if the expired visa is not in your current passport.
Applicants who are former Chinese Citizens or were born in Hong Kong, Taiwan or Macau, and this is your first time applying with your US passport, please click here for additional requirements.
2. Visa Application Form : Download the fillable 2019 Edition Form (total 4 pages) The application must be fully completed on a computer, and printed on single-sided letter size white paper only. If you cannot view the page, please download adobe acrobat reader. For ensure all your information is correct and if there is any information that does not apply to you or you do not know, please write N/A. For instruction and tips on completing the application, Chinese Visa Application Instruction V.2019. If you experience any problems downloading the form, please contact us to email a form to you.
We offer a form filling service starting at $7 per application.
Hand written forms will not be accepted.
3. Additional Form Requirement: Additional form – “X” student visa (total 1 pages). The Chinese Consulate recently required an additional form to be completed for student visa applications.
3. Student Visa Requirement: Please provide the original J101 or J202 form AND the university’s original admission letter (in some cases a copy will be sufficient, please call for information).
The validity of your visa is based on studying terms. If your studying term is greater than 180 days, you will receive a single-entry visa and must then exchange it for a residence permit in China. If it is less than 180 days, you will receive a 5 years’ multiple entry visa with a duration of 120 days stay.
4. Two recent passport type (2”x2”) color photograph taken with a white background in the past 6 months. The photograph must be attached to the visa application form. You can take the picture at places that take U.S. passport photos such as Walgreens, CVS or Walmart. Please see click to see Chinese Visa Picture Requirement for more information.
5. Applicants who have been to China within the past 2 years must provide a copy of their most recent Chinese Visa issued as well as a copy of the last entry and exit passport stamps in the passport.
6. Proof of Residency: Please provide a copy of your driver license or a copy of another state issued ID, student ID or employee ID. If you do not hold any of these, please send us a copy of a utility bill/bank statement/ or any other mail showing your name and home address. Applicants 17 or under without a driver license can submit their student ID or parent’s driver license.
7. Return Mail to return passport and visa: Chinese Visa Office provides return mail via FedEx starting at $30 dollars -Please complete our Chinese Visa Office FedEx Shipping Order Form V.19-1, or you can provide a pre-paid mail label or self-stamped envelope.
Fees and Payment methods: We accept personal checks, business checks, cashier’s checks, money orders, and Credit Card for saver, regular and express service. Credit Card Order Form can be mailed along with other documentto us or you may provide your credit card over the phone. Rush Service is not available for student visa.
8. For dependent visa, please see our dependents visa page
A: Visa Processing Fee
|Service Type (1)||Process Time||Validity (2)||Entries||Consulate Fee||Service Fee||Total Fee|
|Saver||8+ Workdays||5 Years||M||$140||$99||$239|
|Regular||6-8 Workdays||5 Years||M||$140||$129||$269|
|Express||4-5 Workdays||5 Years||M||$160||$159||$319|
1) Validity is based on the information you submit. If your studying duration is longer than 180 days, you will receive a single-entry visa and exchange for a residence permit.
2) Rush service is not available for student visas.
B: Return Mailing
If you wish to use our return mail service, please complete our Chinese Visa Office FedEx Shipping Order Form v. 2019
|FedEx Standard Shipping||$30|
|FedEx First Overnight||$65|
|FedEx shipment to HI, AK, PR||$40|
|FedEx Saturday Delivery||$40|
|Additional Return Address (Contiguous US Only)||$30|
|Pick-up /Pre-paid Envelope||$0|
C: Total cost to pay: Service Fee + Return Mailing Cost
If you have any additional service such as form filling service, please add it into the total cost.
Check/Money Order/Cashier Cash payee is Chinese Visa Office and can be mailed along with the all the required documents to our office. Please complete Credit Card Order Form or call us at 713-774-5606 to provide cc payment. You can mail the credit card order form along with other materials. You can also visit our payment information.
Chinese Visa Office
10402 Harwin Dr. Suite A3
Houston, TX 77036
We highly recommend using FedEx shipping. USPS does not issue receipts for mail drop off. For USPS priority mail, please ask for a confirmation number when you purchase the return mail. For more information on return shipping rates, time, and options, please read our return shipping cost and policy