U.S. Passport for Minors

If your child is older than 16, and is applying for a U.S. passport for the first time or is renewing his/her U.S. passport, please visit New U.S. Passport page

The following instructions are for

  • Applicants that are under the age of 16 and applying for the first time
  • Applicants that are under the age of 16 and is renewing his/her U.S. passport

Please collect the following documents:

1) On behalf of your child, please complete the DS FORM – U.S. passport application on line, please click U.S. Passport Renewal page

If you have trouble clicking on the link, please go to https://pptform.state.gov/?Submit2=Complete+Online+%26+Print

If you do not have a travel plan or your travel plan is not within 14 days of departure, please do not complete the travel section for the on-line form. We will provide a travel itinerary free of charge. Please contact us at 713-774-5606 for more information

After answering all questions online, click CREATE FORM Button and then the DS form will come up, please DO NOT SIGN THE FORM until you are in front an acceptance agent.

  • If you have difficulty accessing the form, we offer a form completion service starting at $7 dollars. The DS form must be typed.
  • If you have any questions while filling out the form, please contact our office for free assistance.

2) 2 passport PICTURES taken in the last 6 months (you can take them at CVS, Walgreens, etc.)

3) Applicant’s TRAVEL ITINERARY, which states you are DEPARTING the U.S. within 14 DAYS (if you do not have an itinerary that states this, we will provide one for you free of charge).

4) PROOF OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP – Submit ONE of the following:

  • ORIGINAL certified birth certificate.
  • ORIGINAL naturalization papers.
  • ORIGINAL old passport (for applicants whose last passport was issued before turning 16).

5) PROOF OF RELATIONSHIP – Submit ONE of the following, but bring the original to the acceptance agent:

  • A Copy of the official U.S Birth Certificate (with parents’ names); or
  • A Copy of the Foreign Birth Certificate (with parents’ names & official translation); or
  • A Copy of FS-240 or DS-1350 (with parents’ names); or
  • A Copy of Adoption Decree (with adopting parents’ names); or
  • A Copy of Court Order Establishing Custody; or
  • A Copy of Court Order Establishing Guardianship.

6) PARENTAL PERMISSION (if necessary) – For minor passport applicants, both parents should appear before the Acceptance Agent. If one of the parents cannot appear, please provide:

DS-3053 form – Non-appearing parent must complete Statement of Consent form or other similar notarized written statement providing consent for minor to obtain a U.S. passport.

If the applying parent has sole authority to apply, please submit a copy of one of the following and bring the original for the acceptance agent:

  • A copy of the child’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent
  • A copy of the report of birth abroad (FS-240) or certification of birth abroad (DS13-50) listing only one parent
  • A copy of court order granting sole custody
  • A copy of adoption decree (listing only the applying parent)
  • A copy of the court order specifically permitting applying parent’s travel with the child
  • A copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent
  • A copy of the death certificate of non-appearing parent

7) A COPY of the PARENT’s driver license that was issued more than 6 months ago (Learner permits and temporary licenses are not accepted).

8) ORIGINAL Letter of Authorization please click Letter of Authorization to complete (can be handwritten).

9) PAYMENT – A check or money order for the U.S. government for $170 dollars and made payable to the U.S. Department of State. Temporary checks or starter checks are not accepted.

  • On the payment form, please write the minor’s full name and birthday

Collect the above items and go to an acceptance agent, agents can be found in post offices, local courts or local government buildings. Please click this link to find an acceptance agency. U.S. Passport Acceptance Agent

Please remember not to sign the 2nd page of the DS form until the acceptance agent informs the applicant.

BOTH Parents must go with the child, if one parent cannot go, please see requirement 6 (parental permission).

Everything above goes inside an envelope that the acceptance agent will seal and then stamp the envelope. Please write on the envelope DO NOT OPEN UNTIL REACHES HOUSTON PASSPORT AGENCY!

Once you are at the acceptance agency, inform the acceptance agency that you are using an expediting service to “Hand Carry” your application to the passport agency for processing. Do not give your application and documents to the acceptance agency to submit.

You will need to pay an execution fee to the passport acceptance agent.

The following goes outside the sealed envelope and inside the mailing envelope.

10) SERVICE FEE PAYMENT – obtaining a new U.S. passport takes 2-3 business days to complete and our service fee is $150 dollars. This does not include the payment you have included for the U.S. government. You can pay with check, money order, or credit card payment (which is subject to a 3% service charges).

11) If the minor is also applying for a Chinese VISA through us, all the requirements for the visa must be left outside the sealed envelope. For information on Chinese visas, please visit our website www.visa-chinese.com

12) RETURN ENVELOPE / or additional $30 dollars for return mail, please see our return shipping cost and policy for more information. If you wish to use our return mailing service, please complete our Chinese Visa Office FedEx Shipping Order Form v. 2019

Items 1-9 go inside the sealed envelope, which is sealed by the passport agent
Items 10-11 go outside the sealed envelope in another envelope and are mailed together with the sealed envelope

If you are at the post office (USPS), use EXPRESS mail to send it to us. If you are not at the post office, you can either use FedEx or UPS.

Once you have mailed everything to us, please give us a call at 714-774-5606 or email us at office@visa-chinese.com to inform us that you have mailed a sealed envelope for a new passport. Please provide the applicant’s name, the carrier company and tracking #.

We provide a free document checking service through email or phone, please give us a call or email us if you have any questions.